Saturday, April 2, 2011

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Unearthly (Unearthly, #1)Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Release Date: January 4, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen

Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 435
Source: Library
Buy the Book: Amazon

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has apurpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side. As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny? Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.
I was hooked!


I am really starting to like angel stories. Especially after reading Unearthly. I heard so many good thing about it and it prior to reading it and Unearthly definitely lives up to the hype.


Unearthly is not your average love story. It's not predictable. The guy isn't the supernatural being as we see in most books and I was surprised to see that Clara didn't end up with the boy she obsesses about in the beginning of the book. But it made complete sense with this story.


The characters are really well developed. Their personalities are definitely believable  and I felt as if I really knew them. Despite being a quarter angel, Clara seems like an average teenage girl. She's insecure smart and learning about whats more important, love or duty. I loved Christian and Tucker. Both couldn't be anymore different and Clara is drawn to both at some point.


Reading this book was extremely enjoyable. I had already read past 100 pages and it felt as if i was just flipped one. There are some surprising twists and turns in this story, that I did nt see coming. Like I said before, Unearthly is not very predictable.


A very fantastically written novel! but don't take me word for it, go read it!

2 comments:

Helena said...

I've had my eye on this one for a while now, and after having read your review I guess I'm just gonna have to get it.

Luxembourg said...

This was a completely unique perspective on angels compared to what I've read. They have a specific purpose on earth and they have visions that help them see what that purpose is, but they also live like regular humans. Most of them don't start getting visions of their purpose until they are teenagers.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...