Saturday, February 26, 2011

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)Release Date: August 24, 2010
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 398
Source: Bought
Buy the BookAmazon

Synopsis:
Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding


I'm not sure how to react to this book. It was dark and tragic. I was definitley holding back tears by the end.

I was sad to see so many good characters die. Collins is most definitely not afraid to kill off important characters. Especially ones that I thought were important to ending the book. So much so that I was in shock when they did die.

Suzanne Collins was very brave in writing the ending to this book. She stuck to the way she believed the story should end and didn't sugar coat it even probably knowing that many would be enraged by it.

Mockingjay takes a difficult road, displaying the outcome of war and Katniss's journey to stay true to herself.  In my opinion, even the love triangle resolution was on point. It all happened the way it did because there was no other way it could.

Overall, the ending to the series was great, I was truly touched and even hurt in some ways (although not negatively). I recommend, to those who haven't read the series to start it when you can because you won't regret it.

2 comments:

Sue Bursztynski said...

It was a fascinating series. I read the entire trilogy over three days during my summer holidays in January, because our library's copies are falling apart, so I thought it was time to have a look.

She certainly doesn't mind killing off characters, does she?

As an adult with a history background I also found it interesting that all the characters from the Capitol have Roman names. In case you didn't pick it up, someone in the third book mentioned "panem et circenses" (bread and circuses) which was a quote referring to what the Roman public lived on.

A Beautiful Madness said...

I love this series, I read it not so long ago, and I just couldn't put it down.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...